How do you ignite an electric water heater?
- Set the temperature control. to its lowest setting.
- Set the on-off control. to the pilot setting.
- Press the hot water heater. pilot button down and. hold it.
- While looking through the the sight glass slowly press the spark generator until you here it click. You should see a spark. from the generator and the.
Can you manually light a water heater with electronic pilot?
* Caution: Most modern water heaters no longer use standing pilots. They use electronic ignition to ignite the gas. Do not attempt to manually light an electronic ignition system. … If the pilot light will not re-light, the problem could be a clogged pilot line or orifice, or gas is not reaching the water heater.
How can I tell if my water heater pilot light is on?
It’s usually right on the panel. Turn and hold the knob to “Pilot” and push the ignitor. You should hear it click, and probably also a “whooshing” sound. Check in that gap, and you should see the light on.
Why can’t I light the pilot on my water heater?
The water heater pilot light is a small flame that ignites the gas burner on your water heater. … If the pilot doesn’t relight, if it goes out right after lighting or if it goes out repeatedly, by far the most common cause is a bad thermocouple.
Can I manually light my water heater?
If your hot water heater is a manual, grab a long lighter. After removing the metal plate covering the pilot button, scan the interior and find the pipe or pipes that lead up to the burner. Turn the pilot dial to the off position and wait 5-10 minutes for any gas to dissipate.
Do I need to turn gas off if pilot light goes out?
If the pilot light goes out on a storage or instantaneous hot water heater, space heater or a ducted heater, you will not have a gas leak. This is because all modern gas appliances with pilot lights have a fail-safe device that closes off the gas to the appliance in the case when the pilot may go out.
Should pilot light always be on water heater?
The pilot should be on the water heating the house. The pilot flame can be difficult to see through a window. To know if the pilot is on or off, you need to remove the access door and shield and look at the burner and pilot through it.
What do I do if my pilot light won’t light?
How to Fix Your Pilot Light
- Find your gas valve. …
- You need to turn the valve to the off position for at least three minutes.
- Once you have had the valve at off for a few minutes, switch it over to pilot setting.
- You will need a match that is lit. …
- Set the pilot valve to the on position.
How do you know if you have a bad thermocouple?
If you can’t get the flame to light at all, and you’re sure the gas is on, there’s probably an obstruction in the pilot tube. If the flame lights and goes out when you release the gas control knob after holding it in for the recommended 20 to 30 seconds, that’s the sign of a thermocouple malfunction.
Why is my gas water heater not turning on?
If a gas water heater isn’t heating, a common problem is usually that the pilot light has gone out. This may be caused by the gas valve, the natural gas supply, or—more likely—the thermocouple located next to the pilot light.
Will the gas company light My pilot?
Most of today’s gas appliances have electric starters, rather than pilot lights. … One caveat, however: If you detect the strong smell of natural gas, do not attempt to light the pilot. Instead, leave the house and call your local gas company or 911.