What should you do if a child gets an electric shock?

What should I do if my child gets shocked?

Treatment

  1. A child who has received an electric shock should be seen by a pediatrician because shock may cause internal damage that can’t be detected without a medical examination.
  2. Your pediatrician will clean and dress surface burns and order tests for signs of damage to internal organs.

What happens if a child gets shocked?

If your child gets an electric shock, seek medical care immediately because there may be internal injuries that you can’t see. Common ways that kids, especially mobile babies and toddlers, shock themselves are chewing on electrical cords and sticking metal items into unprotected outlets.

What is the first thing you should do if a child has got an electrical shock?

Turn off the source of electricity, if possible. If not, move the source away from you and the person, using a dry, nonconducting object made of cardboard, plastic or wood. Begin CPR if the person shows no signs of circulation, such as breathing, coughing or movement.

GOOD TO KNOW:  You asked: Why is water used in power stations?

Can a small electric shock hurt your baby?

ANSWER: There are conflicting reports on how harmful electric shock is to a fetus. The clinical spectrum of electrical injury ranges from a transient unpleasant sensation felt by a mother and no effect on her fetus to fetal death either immediately or few days later.

Can you get electrocuted and not feel it?

There are two main causes of delayed electric shock symptoms: Masking – This occurs when a person who has been injured experiences medical conditions that “mask” their electric shock symptoms, causing the injured person to believe the condition is unrelated to and not actually a symptom of an electric shock injury.

What does it feel like to be electrocuted?

Our body conducts electricity so when you get an electric shock, electricity will flow through your body without any obstruction. A minor shock may feel like a tingling sensation which would go away in some time. Or it may cause you to jump away from the source of the current.

What is the first aid for electric shock?

The 911 emergency personnel may instruct you on the following:

  1. Separate the Person From Current’s Source. To turn off power: …
  2. Do CPR, if Necessary. When you can safely touch the person, do CPR if the person is not breathing or does not have a pulse. …
  3. Check for Other Injuries. …
  4. Wait for 911 to Arrive.
  5. Follow Up.

What is the most common electric shock related injury?

Electrical burns are the most common shock-related, nonfatal injury. They occur when a worker contacts energized electrical wiring or equipment. Although electrical burns can occur anywhere on the body, they most often occur on the hands and feet.

GOOD TO KNOW:  Frequent question: What is the relationship between electrical conductivity and strength of solutions?

What happens if you get shocked by 240 volts?

An electric shock from a 240 volt power point can kill you, but on a dry day your car door can zap you with 10,000 volts and just make you swear.

What increases the risk of getting a electric shock?

Causes of electric shock

Damaged or frayed cords or extension leads. Electrical appliances coming in contact with water. Incorrect or deteriorated household wiring. Downed powerlines.