Do electric furnaces have a limit switch?
The limit control switch is a mechanism designed to stop the furnace from overheating. A faulty limit control may shut the furnace down immediately when it attempts to come on. Or it may fail to turn the furnace off in case of overheating. Usually, fixing this requires replacing the limit control switch.
How do I know if my fan limit switch is bad?
The most common sign of a malfunctioning limit switch is the continuous operation of your furnace’s blower. Just as the limit switch won’t allow the fan to turn on until the warm air has reached the right temperature, the limit switch also shuts down when the air cools to a certain temperature.
How do I reset the high limit switch on my electric furnace?
How to Reset a Furnace Limit Switch
- Locate your furnace’s heating duct. …
- Locate the white limit switch. …
- Look at each arm to identify the settings. …
- Identify the component (setting) located in between the two arms. …
- Set the temperature on the middle component to approximately 105 to 115 degrees Fahrenheit.
Can I bypass a limit switch?
1 Answer. Yes, you can bypass the high limit switch for testing.
How much does it cost to replace a limit switch on a furnace?
Another safety control is a high limit switch, which measures the temperature of the furnace to ensure it is running within safe temperatures. Both of these are small but critical parts for safe furnace operation, and they will run from $150 to $400 to repair.
How much is a fan limit switch?
Average Cost of a New Furnace Limit Switch
Depending on who your OEM is, this component could roughly cost you anywhere from $4 to $25.
How do you reset a furnace after overheating?
How to Reset Your Furnace
- Turn down the thermostat to its lowest setting.
- At the circuit breaker, turn off the power to the furnace.
- If this is a gas furnace, turn off the gas supply at the valve for the main gas pipe, but leave the pilot’s gas supply on.
- If the pilot light was out, light a match to relight it.
Reset High Limit
The High Limit Reset Button is located behind the gas valve.
How do you manually reset a limit switch?
Press and hold the red “Reset” button in the center of the rollout limit switch component. Hold the button for one to two seconds before releasing it.